Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Back calculating surface roughness 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kapo84

Mechanical
Jun 4, 2007
US
thread378-220785

I have read a number of posts on this site which mention "back calculating" to find the roughness of a pipe/hose (see link). I have a fabric duct used for HVAC which was sent to us for R&D purposes from the manufacturer. I am having trouble back calculating my test results to find the duct roughness. It's a simple fix surely -- can someone outline in detail their process for calculating epsilon?

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Probably easier to assume an initial value for [ε] and iterate with it until you get the observed pressure drop.

Solving a Colebrook or similar fluid head loss equation for [ε] isn't on my priority list.

"We have a leadership style that is too directive and doesn't listen sufficiently well. The top of the organisation doesn't listen sufficiently to what the bottom is saying." Tony Hayward CEO, BP

"Being GREEN isn't easy" ..Kermit

I will try iterating ... I solved the Haaland equation for ? and, as I mentioned earlier, saw results which were not realistic.

kapo84,

For flow in a duct the flow is probably fully turbulent and you can use the rough pipe law:

1/[√]f = 2Log (3.7D/k[sub]e[/sub]) or
(1/2)1/[√]f = Log (3.7D/k[sub]e[/sub])

Take the anti log of both sides and get:

10[sup](1/2)1/[√]f[/sup]=(3.7D/k[sub]e[/sub])

Solve for k[sub]e[/sub]:

k[sub]e[/sub]=(3.7D/10[sup](1/2)1/[√]f[/sup])

f is the Darcy friction factor
D is the pipe diameter
k[sub]e[/sub] is the effective roughness

You can do the same for the Colebrook equation.

vzeos:

Thanks for the help! I iterated per the instructions of BigInch and received the results I needed.

The equation you provided gave me near exact results to those which I iterated. However, it is handy to have an equation which Excel can equate for large amounts of data.

In hind sight I should have tried to solve for the Colebrook equation rather than the Haaland equation since the Haaland equation is derived from the Colebrook equation.

Thanks again BigInch and vzeos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back