Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

background on SolidWorks 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

p2000

Mechanical
May 20, 2008
CA
i noticed that when others create a new part, the default view is like a big reflective mirror, while mine is not and i was trying to add this view from the little icon at the top (the gold ball on the floor), but it is still changing the lights efect but not the floor.

I am reinstalling SW 08 as i upgraded from 2007 but that creates lots of troubles, its crashing all the time so maybe a fresh installation will be better.

Any ideas ??

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Once you have performed the clean install, use the Copy Settings Wizard to create a reg file on one of the other computers, and install it on yours.

Make sure you are using the same templates and File Locations as the other computers.

[cheers]

Under System Options > Color you need to select Use Document Scene BAckground to show the View or "Scene" as it's called in the Background. You probably have one of the other options like such as
Plain uses Viewport Color setting or
Gradient uses Top and Bottom Gradient color settings.

Michael

Could it be the RealView Graphics option is not activated?

Try: View->Display->RealView Graphics
...also available under 'view settings' (the screen with pointy finger icon) at the top next to the gold ball on floor icon.

That shows a mirror reflection under the part when looking in the down (-Y) direction.

Hello all,

Thank you so much for your help,

I tried System Options > Color and checked Document Scene BAckground, and it worked but i have a question why RealView Graphis is still gray under View->Display->RealView Graphics, i can't clisk on it !!!

Thank you again

I think its the video card, I downloaded the latest version and it's still gray !!!
Under SolidWorks Website it says That NVIDIA Gforce 7900 is tested but not certified , mine is "NVIDIA Geforce 7950 GT" .

Thanks again

I believe that your video card must have the gold sphere of approval on the Solidworks certified cards/drivers site to get the mirrored reflection.

Not that it's important, but our I.T. guy has a gold card while I have the silver and I am pretty jealous.

Haha, petty I know, but whatever.

Hope that helps.

Just to clarify, I'm talking about the mirrored reflection of the part itself. I do indeed have the realview with my "silver" card and I get the reflection off of the part. I don't know what the bronze card has.

I also want to mention that i can't see the reflection on the part on the ground and that's what i am looking for (maybe there is something in options that i need to enable ??) !!

Thanks

Do you have Software openGL turned on. If so turn it off. Realview isn't support with OpenGL turned on. note: to change this setting you must have all documents closed in SW. Check box for this option is under Tools--->Options--->Performance, it is the check second box from the bottom.

Joe Hasik, CSWP
SW 08 x64, SP 3.0
Dell T3400
Intel Core2 Quad
Q6700 2.66 GHz
3.93 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4600

p2000,

the realview on/off setting is actually under the monitor icon to the right of what you show in your picture.

the gold sphere on the floor is for the scene (lighting effects)

CSWP
SolidWorks 2007 SP5.0/2008 SP3.1
2xDual-Core AMD OPTERON 280 / 8GB Ram
Quadro FX3450
3DConnexion SpaceNavigator

Simply put, your card is a gaming card not a CAD card. As such, it's capabilities are different and some features aren't going to work. I know of people who use gaming cards with limited problems, others who have nothing but headaches. It seems to be a combination of the card and the type of system (Dell, HP, etc), but, even then, it seems to be hit or miss.
Also, because it's not a supported card, you're handcuffing your VAR if you call in with a tech support question. If you're not using supported hardware, it limits what your VAR can do for you. If you call in with a performance and/or graphics issue, once they know it's an unsupported card, they won't be able to do anything beyond their own knowledge.
That all being said and done, did you enable 'Shadows in Shaded Mode'?

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP, Certified DriveWorks AE

Hello and thanks for the replies.

Under the monitor icon, i have 2 options:
1-Shadows in shaded mode
2-perspective

and i tried both but originally it was only shadows in shaded mode which was enabled .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back