Bad Actor Definition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nova N

Chemical
Oct 11, 2018
CA
Dear Engineering Professionals,

I am working on improving our steam turbine reliability in Downstream (O&G). We are looking into developing a Bad Actor list so that we can work with Maintenance Engineering to resolve problems as they arise.

What would be a good definition of Bad Actor related to equipment?

Highly Appreciated,

Nova

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"Bad" actor in what sense? There are intentionally "bad" actors, and inadvertently "bad" actors.

In my mind, anyone can be a "bad" actor who has access to any equipment or interface to same equipment that can cause cessation of operation or damage to the direct equipment or personnel, or equipment connected further downstream or personnel downstream.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

An example of a bad actor is a piece of equipment that fails frequently. A pump that fails frequently due to seal leaks. This pump would be marked as a bad actor for further assessment by Engineers.

Replacement parts with a long lead time.
Parts, equipment or tools with a short design life or otherwise limited usefulness.
Items that require excessive maintenance, testing or inspection.

A black swan to a turkey is a white swan to the butcher ... and to Boeing.

We had this one component that we used on 10 of our boilers, it was critical to the efficient operation of the plant and automatic operation of the plant. Steam supply pressure could get very erratic depending on the operators skill level and fluctuations in demand. This would cause lots of scrap production/stoppages in food retorts etc. It came from overseas with a lead time of 3 months and we were only allowed to have two of them in the stores because of how expensive they were. I think that component qualified as a bad actor.

Hi,
Check with your maintenance guy , he should use a maintenance program computerized , taking care of curative and preventive maintenance .
In this case he should have in his hands a way to extract all the downtime per equipment and all possible graph.
Good luck
Pierre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back