Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bad quality drawing when printing (Solid Works)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SanRox

Industrial
Nov 1, 2005
NL
I'm using Solid Works and I'v got a big problem. Everytime when I draw a crooked line it's not one straight line but it's build in steps. (see the picture) How can I adjust this. It doesn't look that good when I print out the picture

solidworks.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Click on view (in dwg area) than see what you have as Display Style in management box. You probably have Draft Quality. Should be High Quality

In System Options -> Drawings -> Display Style -> Diplay quality for new views I've selected High Quality

Is this the same, cause the prints are not better

Adjust the Tools > Options > System Options > Performance and the Tools > Options > Document Properties > Image Quality settings.

Also, increasing the Screen Resolution of your monitor would help.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites faq559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions faq559-1091

Welcome to the world of computers. It's the way the line is drawn on your monitor. You monitor uses dots to display images, so straight edges at certain angles show a step as it angles down. Actually all angled lines show the steps but some angle seem more pronounced than others.

Here's image illustrating.

regular0yj.jpg

Now we zoom in

zoomed2jk.jpg

Anti aliasing is a technique many programs use to "blur" the edge so that it appears smooth. I think Solidworks has an anti aliasing option under Tools/Options/Performance or Display I think. Not sure if it will help here.

Jason

UG NX2.02.2 on Win2000 SP3
SolidWorks 2005 SP5.0 on WinXP SP2
SolidWorks 2006 SP1.0 on WinXP SP2

Good advice from Gildashard. The maximum 'smoothness' you can see is dictated by many settings, the last of which the physical size of the pixels on your monitor.

There are other image formats that do not display in the way Gildashard mentions, i.e. vector based. .DXF, .AI and .PDF (I think) work this way.

SanRox - try exporting your drawing to a PDF and then printing from there. Of course, then your smooth line becomes limited by the accuracy (dpi for instance) of your printer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back