Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Baffled, confused. What happened in my FM receiver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skogsgurra

Electrical
Mar 31, 2003
SE
I was doing measurements om the bench. A white noise source with settings +/-10 V and 100 MSa/s was going via an unshielded wire from the arb to the test circuit and passing close to my little FM radio receiver. When I switched from sinewave to white noise, the receiver started to output something that sounded a little like SW reception, but not quite. Listen:

I have no idea what happened. I am weak on radio and signal analysis. Can anyone explain what this is and why it happens? It would be nice if I got a little more than "the radio picked up interference".

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
Half full - Half empty? I don't mind. It's what in it that counts.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Skogs,

What is the bandwidth of your white noise source?

It sounds like the bandwidth is large enough (say from 10Hz to several MHz?) that the blips are the source's attempt to cover the audio range, but with frequency steps so large that they come though as audible random blips instead of well-mixed random "static".

It generates noise from a 100 MHz clock. The BW is 5 MHz (-3 dB).

Does that help? Still not "unconfused".

Gunnar Englund

The Voice of SkogsGurra! Hello!!

As you surmised, the 10.7 MHz is getting into the IF strip. So the FM capture effect with no modulation results in silence. The 400Hz tone makes sense. You're asking about the weird noise.

What you've discovered is that your digital "white noise" source is actually a pseudorandom pattern that reveals its deterministic repeating properties in the acoustic patterns output from the FM receiver. In other words, it's an artifact of the source.

True white noise (+/- preemphasis) is already available between the stations.

Is the source made by Fluke?

Thanks VE1
Spot on.It is a PRG. Not made by Fluke. I have another noise generator that is based on a reverse biased base-emitter diode. It doesn' have the same punch (much lower amplitude) so I don't think it will affect my radio. I shall run an FFT on that PRG to see if it is white or rainbow striped.

Do you happen to know any mathematical derivation that casts light on this?

Gunnar Englund

Good ol' Knuth - yes, but lost the book many years ago. And I think it is easier and more rewarding to put a question here and get it answered by you that breathe and live communication and signal processing.

I took a few time domain and FFT with 50 ns and 50 us/div resolution.
There is actually a "rainbow" pattern - a little like what you get from a square wave with limited rise and fall times - in the spectrum.

But, I still don't quite understand why the beeps stay on for approximately 100 ms and then there's a new beep frequency for 100 ms. And so on.

Gunnar Englund

The keywords to use here are "linear shift register" and "pseudorandom generator". I have Knuth's 3-volume set on the shelf, and once you get past his slightly off "language" for computer architecture, it's quite straightforward verbiage.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back