Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

baffled culverts

Status
Not open for further replies.

sloughshark

Bioengineer
Oct 23, 2003
CA
Anyone had any luck convincing the regulators that a baffled culvert is appropriate.

I am having trouble meeting fish passage requirements with less than 5 CSP culverts and a bridge is way too expensive. I’m in a location where slopes are low, typically less than 1%, so I thought I’d try a baffled culvert. The ones with vertical steel plates welded inside the culvert. They have been used in other jurisdictions but I’m having a lot of trouble getting the regulators here to consider it.

They say that maintenance, keeping the pipe clean, will be a problem. I argued that the high flows should wash it clean, they didn’t buy it. Sedimentation will change the hydraulics of the pipe and result in a blockage to fish passage.

Anyone else have an argument that has worked, or an alternative solution……

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It seems to me that both Washintonand oregon have DNR requirements for fish ladders and a fair amount of info also. Look there and maybe Alaska too.

Installation of fish baffles in fish bearing streams are a requirement of our regulators here. I have had ensure they were a component of our contracts for a few years now. Perhaps I can "fish" out some information or at least put you in touch with a contact person, if you wish.

KRS Services

We've just had a project where regulators MADE us install weirs (baffles) in our culverts. We installed two 8' diameter culverts at a 0.5% slope. After all was said and done the baffles work great.
They do have a good point with sedimentation and reduction of capacity of the culverts, that should be taken into consideration when sizing. However, our biologist indicated that natural sedimentation caused by the baffles is ideal for the fish.
PS. This project was in New Brunswick, Canada.

Thanks for the offer to put me in touch with a professional "KRS" but I’m making some headway here. I’ve seen published documents with baffle requirements in Washington and British Columbia and the regulators are willing to look into researching this. It looks like a limited number of baffled culverts will be approved (there may be some pressure here from other parties). My regulating authority must also feel sedimentation is good for fish because they want a 40 in pipe to be embedded 8in. Looks like we have come to a compromise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back