balanced impeller - Slurry Pump Mining

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim81276

Mechanical
Oct 7, 2014
PE
Hi friends

I have problems with the maintenance of components of a slurry type mining pump. Failures are frequent in the horns and seals. Due to the short maintenance time, we only change wet components, but I cannot balance the impeller, nor can I do the runout of the shaft.

How can I do at least one balance in the field so that it doesn't take so much time during its maintenance?

Best regards...

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

what is horns?
What type of seals are used?
Pump manufacturer, model,size.

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

Hi Artisi

About what is horns? is sleeve
What type of seals are used? is Packing
Pump manufacturer, model,size

Pump manufactured: IMS
Model: FAH
Size: 8x6

Thanks you...

OK, so what you have could be pirated Warman FAH slurry pump or rebranded from the current licensee.

If the shaft sleeve and packing is showing short life it could be incorrect flushing of the stuffing box.

More detail regarding the application is required to sort out the problem.

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

I am going to assume that you are taking an impeller out of your stock to do the replacement; I recommend that you make sure the impellers are balanced when they arrive on your site. At least to G14, G6.3 would be better. But any reasonable supplier should be able to supply them to you already balanced.

I would look at what you are doing for flushing/lubricating the seals if you have frequent failures of the seals and sleeves.

Hi all,
What is the impeller material? Hi Chrome or rubber lined? Either way, based on the design of the AH casing, you can access "half" the impeller, with the "cover plate" removed. Meaning you not able to do a field balance. But the bigger question is what is creating the imbalance? Wear on vanes/vane tips?
Regarding the wear on the shaft sleeve. there are various configurations of stuffing box/lantern rings. Going from "ultra low flow" to "normal" design. But based on experience they all hit normal flow in no time at all. So, you may find that the majority of gland flush goes straight through to the volute side and a minimal amount flushes/cools the packing and shaft sleeve. Have you got high pressure pumps here? Or pumps in series and this is the last in line (highest pressure)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back