Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ball Field Final Grading...Baseball & Soccer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcfowler79

Civil/Environmental
May 11, 2004
US
My company is working on a park site for the local park district. I was wondering if anyone had any standards for grading a baseball field w/dirt infield and a soccer field. Wondering most of all max slopes location of high points on the baseball field. And as far as the soccer feild does it simply slope to the sidelines or is additional slope added end to end? An explanation is fine but if any have details or websites that would be great.

Thanks for your time,
Jason

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The high point of a baseball field is the mound. Minimum slopes for the infield and outfield. Just enough to drain. Unless your kid is on the team. Then the baselines slope so the bunts all roll foul. and only the home team knows this.

The dimensions and grading plan for all sports fields can be found in Architectural Graphic Standards, your local school district would have them; as well as the local Little League Association.

The preferred grading for soccer fields is to provide 1% to 1.5% cross-slope to the sides, i.e with crown along the centre line between the goals (similar to a road). However, if this is not possible, you can provide the slope to either end, or to both ends. In some cases, you may need to provide both cross-slope and longitudinal slope.

In addition to providing sufficient grade, it is good practice to provide adequate subdrains if the field is to be useable during rain storms.

For baseball fields, my inclination (no pun intended) is to grade the field with crown along an axis starting at home plate and bisecting second and third.

The most important consideration in any case is to minimize the slope lenghts, to reduce grade differentials between the various extremes of the field. I once played in a soccer field where in a corner kick we could not see the stopped ball while we were standing in the goal area. A case of too much grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back