Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Ball Swivel type port for spray nozzle/wand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rwebb02

Mechanical
Jul 4, 2012
AU
Hi,

Does anyone know of a ball-type port or fitting, preferably with flange mounting, that could be installed in the wall of a chute to allow a hose to be installed and the spray directed by someone outside the chute?

I'm thinking of something like a spherical plain bearing, only with a flange mounting and a way of mounting a hose or wand through the center.

Thanks,

Richard

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How big of hose or pipe. I can think of a number of methods, depending on size requirement.

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

How about a spherical plain bearing with flange mounting with some steel tube pushed through and a hose pipe fastened to the tube with a hose clip?

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go past." Douglas Adams

Thanks guys- the hose will be about 1/1/2", fairly standard plant washdown type application.

Personally I think a hatch that you stick the hose through would be fine, but there are concerns about isolation etc, hence the swivel mount.

I'm thinking a maintenance free stainless/bronze spherical bearing with a flange mount and a 2.5" bore, and a 1.5" hose so it can accommodate a larger degree of axial movement might work.

I'll put it to the client anyway.

How will the operator see where he is spraying? If you have access through a hatch, use a disposable, clear plastic film clamped to the hatch and to the hose. If necessary, you can support the hose or nozzle with any sort of gimbal design. It can be as simple as a pipe passing through an over size ring collar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back