Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ballast Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsummerfield

Electrical
Jan 26, 2003
US
Ballast Control

Please advise a few web sites with tutorial or technical sales information regarding ballast control and related vessel management control for semi-submersible production vessels.

John

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not sure exactly what kind of information you're looking for, but it may be useful to contact an engineering company dealing with design of hulls for floating units - jackups or semisubs.

One that I know of is this:

They have wide experience with hull design and related stability control (calculations)

Hope this helps
regards
Mogens

You might try ABS site (American Bureau of Shipping). You can download many of their sets of Rules. In particular the Rules for the Design and Construction of MODUS (Mobile Offshore Drilling Units)will give you a lot of information on ballast and stability. These Rules are specific to 'Column stabilised units' (semi-subs) and 'Self Elevating Units' (Jack-ups). Most of the world's MODUS are classed by ABS so they have a wealth of experience. There are also other Rules & Guidance on ballasting on the ABS site

Thanks for your suggestions. Since the original post I have become familiar with some of the applicable ABS rules and the GVA Sea-Loc (tm) ballast scheme for semi-submersible vessels with a square pontoon and four columns.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back