Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BALLISTIC LIMIT IN ABAQUS 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oluwakay

Mechanical
Sep 15, 2022
PL
Hello Everyone,
I ran a ballistic simulation in abaqus (a bullet into polymer reinforced composite to be precise) and from the result, the bulllet was stopped with few layers of the composite destroyed of course withhout a complete penetration. How do I estimate the ballistic limit of the target from the numerical calculation? I understood he ballistic limit is the velocity at the which the bullet is able to cause some damage and the bullet couldn't go further to destroy the target. Can I take the velocity of the bullet up to the damage zone in the composite as the ballistic limit of the target? Please put me through on how to achieve this in abaqus.

Thank you so much!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ballistic limit is defined as the minimum velocity required to fully penetrate a structure. So you should increase the velocity until the projectile goes through the whole target.

Okay, Thank you so much. I will increase the velocity until the structure is fully penetrated. So, I guess that minimum velocity requires to penetrate the composite will be the structure ballistic limit.

I will like to ask...should I use the same bullet model (deformable) until it goes through the target or I should model the bullet as rigid solid (undeformable)?

Thank you!

No need to change your assumptions, just test more velocities. This way, you should find the limit velocity after a few tries. Scripting can help you automate this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back