Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Balloon to a non-graphic part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

beachcomber

Mechanical
Jan 19, 2005
GB
At my present embployer they add some parts, such as rubber seals, to assemblies as non-graphic parts.
This is OK until you come to do the drawinga and want a balloon to the part that is associative to the parts list item number.
Does anyone have a way of doing this, or do you just accept it being non-associative?
The 'Parts List Item Number' property is only available for Graphic Connection and Graphic Connection to Part.
It could also do with being available for the Named Reference option.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Where would we be without sat-nav?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Funny, I bought this up in our ST3 update training yesterday.

They have some ability to assign item# at the assy model but I'm not sure it will address this.

It's been a pain for us for years as we use non graphic parts for all kinds of things like adhesives or even wires etc.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

ST3 allows you to define the item number of a component within the assembly. However, you still stumble on balloning the nongraphic part.
It shows in the BOM, but will not associatively balloon, as there is nothing for the balloon to attach to.

-av8errr
Solid Edge ST3
xw46003GB
RAM2Quad CPU
3.00GHz

I know there is nothing to attach to but you should still be able to have the alloon contain the parts list item number for the Named Reference.
Maybe someone could bring this up at the ST4 launch !
It's all very well having Sync Tech but this is so basic.
I would love to be there, but its a long way from UK and I would probably get banned for asking awkward questions and being too critical.

bc.
Quadro FX4600.

This is a bit of a work around but you can have a very simple sketch in your non graphic part. The screenshot shows how you can display sketches in drafts. Attach the balloon to the sketch and if you want to hide the sketch you can use “Hide Edges”.

Solid Edge ST3 MP5 on WinXP x64
Insight Server on Win2008 R2 & SQL 2008 R2 x64
SharePoint 3.0 x64

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=7e16261d-c9e2-4f37-a811-408d25baef43&file=SCREENSHOT-02.JPG
I've used a similar method in the past - just displaying a co-ordinate system or ref plane, but that's no good when you actually want to point to something or some other point in a detail or section view.
Personally I would have modelled the gasket strip material using the frames command then you can see its there, but they don't seem to use such methods here.
I only started recently and I had no idea there should be a gasket (and the person who modelled the assembly never told me until I'd done the assembly drawing)

bc.
Quadro FX4600.

look at this in SE

Create a non-graphic part that uses units and value
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This procedure shows you how to define custom properties for a non-graphic part that requires units, and a value for those units. Although no 3D model is required for these parts, they still need to be documented in a bill of materials or parts list. For example, you may require 4 liters of oil in an assembly.

Step 1. n the part document, choose Application menu?Properties?File Properties to open the Properties dialog box.

Step 2. On the Custom tab, in the Name box, type: SE_ASSEMBLY_QUANTITY_OVERRIDE.

Step 3. In the Type box, select Number from the list.

Step 4. In the Value box, type 0 (zero). Then click the Add button.

Step 5. In the Name box, type: SE_ASSEMBLY_QUANTITY_STRING.

Step 6. In the Type box, select Text from the list.

Step 7. In the Value box, type the unit and number of decimal places you want. For example, Liters;4. Then click the Add button.

Note:

You must separate the unit type and decimal places with a semi-colon (;). If the number of decimal places you want is 2, you do not need to enter a value for the decimal places.

To use the custom properties in an assembly, do the following:

Step 1. Place the part in the assembly.

Step 2. Select the part in the PathFinder tab or the graphics window, then on the shortcut menu, choose Occurrence Properties.

Step 3. On the Occurrence Properties dialog box, type the quantity value in the Quantity cell for the occurrence. Notice that the unit value you specified in the part document is displayed in the User-Defined Quantity column.

Tip:

You can place a non-graphic part in an assembly without applying relationships by holding the SHIFT key, then dragging the part into the assembly.

You can also set the quantity value using the Occurrence Properties button on the Place Part command bar.

If you use many non-graphic parts at your company, you can create a template that has the non-graphic part custom properties defined.

I hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back