Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bar internal soundness

Status
Not open for further replies.

isoca

Materials
Mar 16, 2008
AR
This is a query basically related to the language and its interpretations (my native language is Spanish).
A client request us: "Each rolled bar which will be used for tube manufacture shall be examined for internal soundness by taking macro specimens at each end of the bar".
My doubt is related to the word "soundness". Does it mean, free from defects? is it about inclusions content? pores? all of them?
Unfortunately my client (who did not make the specification) also has difficulties in interpreting it
Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Soundness might be interpreted as mechanical integrity or solidness.
I wouldn't link it to inclusions or stringers which are more microstructural defects.
But relate it to pipe, porosity, cracks, lapps and those types of defects.
Normally when someone says this they give you an acceptance criteria.
A macro from each end is fine, but what is the standard? Simply that they are solid?

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

I presume that it will be hot pierced to make hollows, that is common with steel.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Your client's requirements should include some standard for taking and evaluating these specimens. Typically it would be an ASTM or ISO standard. You can take, and examine, all the samples you want, but without a specific acceptance criteria for evaluating these samples, you will not be able to tell whether or not they meet the standard.

Dear, thank you very much for your answers.
I fully understand that in order to evaluate some carachteristics a criteria is necessary. In this case my question was more of a lenguaje interpretation. Many times the literal translations do not show the real expectations of the person requesting it.

What they mean by soundness is lack of imperfections, particularly near the center of the bar. What type of imperfections? That is why you need to know the acceptance criteria. Presumably, they mean any imperfections that may affect their ability to process the bar. That is too vague, unfortunately, as it does not let the supplier know what to avoid. In general, when one speaks of the "internal soundness" of a solid bar, they are concerned with voids, piping, cracks, and other discontinuities.

I would concur with EdS's interpretation as being reasonable and well, very sound. (sorry)

If you took it to extremes you could condemn a bar on the basis of atomic vacancies. (Don't laugh, I have interacted with adult engineers at mega EPCs who wanted to take requirements to almost such a ridiculous extreme.)

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back