Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bar joist Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purol

Civil/Environmental
May 6, 2003
US
Hi,

I have started a new project, and I think the most econamical way to construct it will be using bar joist. The main part of the project is a 65'x 30' foot commercial deck. I have never delt with bar joist and was woundering were I can find some design table to figure out what size I need. I would like to use a 15' span and a 5 or 6" deck. My live load will be 100psf. Any info. would be greatly appretiated.

thanks,

Purol

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Shouldn't a qualified structural engineer be consulted for the design? I don't know the details of you project, but presumably things like wind uplift, and diaphragm force transfer should be considered, which are not given in the table. Also, if there are non-uniform loads these also need special consideration.

The joist company(s) you select will perform the calculations for you (most work with decking as well) and will ask all the right questions to get your design locked in. You are on the right track as far as an economical approach.

The following companies are the major players covering the East to the West Coast. You can do a web search to find their contact information.

Vulcraft Joist
SMI Joist
Quincy Joist
Valley Joist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back