Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Base Line Pipe data

Status
Not open for further replies.

POPPASMURFF1942

Petroleum
Nov 2, 2006
US
I have always performed this task but I am now asked to show what document or regulatory body requires that base line data be taken on piping and equipment installations. It may have been in the federal register. Any help will be appreciated

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

API 570 Section 7.1.2 Newly Installed Piping Systems or Changes in Service, lists 3 methods.
a) A corrosion rate for a piping circuit may be calculated from data collected by the owner/user on piping systems of simular material and service.
b) If data for the same or simular service are not available, a corrosion rate for a piping circuit may be estimated from the owner/user's experience or from published data on piping systems in compairable serice.
c) If the probable corrosion rate cannot be determined by either method above, the initial thickness measurement shall be be made no more than 3 months of service.

So, 90 days is the default as per API 570

I may be wrong, but I don't believe that there is any actual federal regulatory requirement to "baseline" (do you mean intelligent pig run?) a pipeline. All regulations state is that new transmission pipelines (not gathering systems) must be piggable, that pipelines must be inspected within 7 years and that an integrity management program be in place. It may be a the best way and most informative and cost effective method to use ILI to do this, but I do not think you will actually find any US Federal Regulation (CFR) that actually requires it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back