Base plate affected with uplift force and large moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELSARWAN

Civil/Environmental
Jan 25, 2015
EG
Dear Experts,
i have one question about design of base plates which affected by uplift force and large moment ,
i want to know how to determine the bearing length at bearing interface ,i didn't find any reference for these type of plates.
and i don't think that equation (3.4.3 in AISC design guide 1) will be valid here

i think
if i divide the ACTING MOMENT by DISTANCE BETWEEN ANCHORS i will get the bearing force due to moment at (compression side) then
i will subtract this force from uplift force so i will get the net bearing force so i can calculate the moment acting on plate due to bearing by multiple the bearing force with larger "m or n"
so i can make check base plate at compression side
i don't know if this is the right way or not
i need your help and any suggestion will be helpful
thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I use the anchor rod centre and the opposite side of the baseplate... not centre to centre.

I also use a rectangular stress block for compression. The AISC has a really good design guide for baseplates.

for JAE, center... happy?

Dik

Grab a copy of the design guide... it's available for free somewhere on the internet, and give it a read... it's a fairly comprehensive document.

Dik

Tension
1) Model in Hilti Profis Anchor
2) Know the Tension in Bolts.
3) Design the Base palte for cantilever length

Compression
Read the Compressive stress from Hilti Profis Anchor
Check with allowable compression
Check the base plate for unfirm prssure

is Large moment and Tension acting smae combination ?
If not use corresponding value.

Regards
M.S.Boobathi

thanks a lot "msboobathi"
But i asked this question to complete my excel sheet for base plate design ,
the missing case in my excel is what i asked in my question and i try to find out the right way to calculate it manually to update my excel sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back