Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

base shear

Status
Not open for further replies.

yasir1989

Structural
Sep 12, 2013
IQ
Hi every one
In a response spectrum analysis, the base shear does not match the summation of shears I get at the base of the columns. Which one should I use as base shear ? how to solve this problem?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello ayelamayem77
First at all on your model one mistake (and from my point of view is a big one) when you define the Mass sources you double them.

Because you Check the Element self mass and after that you add the DEAD Load with 1 multiplier as Specified Load Patterns.

This alter the fundamental period of building with this, is 1.57 in place of 1.91.

So be careful in the future with this. If you check the self mass of element don;t add as Specified Load Patterns DEAD load or if you add put the multiply 0 (Zero).

How you calculate the horizontal forces? Did you check on manual calculation?
Can you give me the pages of your design codes where is note how to estimate the base shear for a building also how is distribute on the story level? It should be manual calculated not with the computer.
Also to be clear cause we are talking about the same think we refer at method equivalent static lateral forces for this you check the base shear?

My suggestion is to use not so complicated model to estimate the shear base and to see what is happens. It can be use an ease 3-4 story building with one direction frame X or Y not 3d one.

Keep in touch and good luck.

dear inggelu,

please note the followings:

if you go to define > static load case > dead load self multiplier = 0 (in this case the mass that was calculated based on (from self and specified mass and loads) will not be doubled at all as you assumed,it will be doubled if the previous multiplier was set to 1 in static load case menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back