Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Baseline %

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hatten

Petroleum
May 26, 2004
US
Is there a way to should a % complete for the baseline. The idea is that I have a comparison between my actual % complete and the % complete that I should have been based on my baseline. Please help......

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is this for a capital project or a turnaround maintenance project? For a capital project, you can usually just prepare a target % complete curve based upon the percentage of manhours scheduled (ES-EF) each shift/day (versus the total manhours for the project) on the baseline.

Note that I am speaking in general, I do not know if Microsoft Project offers this functionality. If not, you can always prepare such curves in Excel.

However, the method mentioned above does not work for turnarounds because:

- the scope of work is variable and not fully known at inception (there is never a true baseline)
- The dynamic nature of turnarounds often requires the schedule take different approaches than originally desired

Turnarounds do follow a basic pattern, however, and a baseline can be developed (based upon timeframe) from studying historical records. I will be publishing a white paper on this subject in the near future (on interplansystems.com).

Bernard Ertl
www.interplansystems.com
- eTaskMaker Project Planning Software
- ATC Professional Turnaround Management Software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back