Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Basic book, video tutrial on petroleum refinery process?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcinco50

Mechanical
Dec 13, 2006
US
I'm on a learning process here in a petroleum refinery. I'm very new to this. Can somebody suggest a good basic book on petroleum refinery process? If there's a book on petroleum refining for non-technical people that would be a good start for me. Also a dvd tutorial , if there are any, would be a plus. Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

mcinco50:

Try this book:

James H. Gary and Glenn E. Handwerk, "Petroleum Refining Technology and Economics", Second Edition, Marcel Dekker Inc., 1984, ISBN 0-8247-7150-8

Milton Beychok
(Visit me at www.air-dispersion.com)

The best book for your purposes, in my opinion, is "Petroleum Processing" by R.J. Hengstebeck of Amoco (McGraw-Hill, 1959). It's out of print but libraries should carry it. This is an incredibly lucid book, written by one of the masters.

I studied with Professor Nelson and his "Petroleum Refinery Engineering" (4th edition, McGraw-Hill, 1958) is the definitive work on the subject, but it may contain more detail than newcomers can handle.

Also, look for "Petroleum Processing Handbook" by Bland and Davidson (McGraw-Hill, 1967) for explanations in a nutshell for a wide variety of processes. This also has an excellent section on light hydrocarbon and petroleum fraction physical and transport properties. Finally, there is a vast list of references, a bit dated of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back