Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Basic Steps Fault Finding On a Plc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechanical
Sep 8, 2010
ZA
I am a Graduate Mechanical Technician and working as a Robotics and Automation Maintenance Technician jobs invovles a lot of fault finding -PLC plus mechanical maintenance work,m i would like some hints on the basiics of fault finding on a PLC system we are using siemens 7. and would also like to know where i can find tutorials or any material that would help me to be able to read plc schematic and electrical drawings.

Robotics Technician ( Mechanical Technician) Maintenance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would try your local Siemens distributor, in my part of the world they are currently very aggressive getting folks familiar with their products and applications. I've recently attended a couple of one day seminars and have been pretty impressed.

Their basic PLC seminar cost $395, and got you a micro PLC and software plus some exercises to play with, they also had Siemens factory people there who actually seemed to be interested in helping you. I found it well worth the price and time.

For PLC stuff I've also found two other forums, plcs.net and mrplc.com to have lots of good info and sample code.

Hope that helps, Mike L.

Apart from training, if a PLC controlled system was working correctly, and then stops there is one of two things wrong: PLC hardware failure (bad I/O module, PLC faulted etc), or field device failure (bad limit switch, bad motor etc). The usual suspect is the field devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back