Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Basic use of Pro E Mechanism

Status
Not open for further replies.

geordio

Mechanical
Apr 2, 2008
US
Hi, new to this site and I am hoping that someone can point me in the correct direction. I have a simple model (just trying to get my head round mechanism) lets say it consits of 5 links joined together by pin connections. Now when i try to move the end pin the whole assembly moves together.
Is there any way to be able just to choose one link section and move that by itself and therefore leavning all other connections in there correct place. I have looked at one of the tutorials that was posted on here and it gives excellent advice on locking parts to the other, unfortunatelly when you close this body lock constraint down it removes all teh links and therefore you just have an assembly that folds up on itself.
Hopefully this makes sense to one of you fine people and that you can report back.
Much appreciated

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is your first part in the assembly "grounded"? That is, is it referenced to the absolute reference frame of the assembly?

The quickest way to check is to see if there is a little white rectangle next to the component in the model tree. If it's there, then that part is not fully constrained.

If so, edit the assembly definition, constrain it with respect to the assembly (i.e. mate the default planes, etc) so that it is fully constrained. If this is done correctly, the little white rectangle should disappear, and your mechanism should behave better.

Geordio,
Have you tried assigning limits to the joints that you don't want to move? It's not the "correct" method but it works. If you go into the joint axis properties you can assign limits to the pin joints in degrees. Just make the limit a very, very small number on the joints that you don't want to move.

~Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back