Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Basler BESTwave software

Status
Not open for further replies.

toudom

Electrical
Nov 3, 2011
FR
I know Basler BESTwave software is used for curves visualization. I ordered DECS200 regulator that came with the BESTCOM and the BESTwave. I can't view data log downloaded from BESTCOM when triggered a data log. The menu "PHASORS MENU" remains invisible, that the data log is not applicable for BESTwave. No help file came with the BESTwave software. Could someone help about how to trigger a succesfull data log from BESTCOM and view it with BESTwave ?

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Bestwave is a COMTRADE file viewer - are you looking at the correct file types ?
There should be 2 files (maybe 3) one with a .cfg extension, one with the same name but a .dat extension, and possibly a third file with the same name and a .hdr extension.

Yes DiscoP.
The three files are there when trying to download a data log. I picked COMTRADE files (one with .cfg and the other with .dat), the latter is a .txt. I tried to view them but types seem not to match. A type mismacthing error window is thrown and as written above, "PASORS MENU" is not visible. I'd like to know if there are some configuration before triggering a data log (I know there are logic or level) ? Specially, I want to view the step change (in FCR or AVR mode) response in order to adjust the GAIN parameters (kp, Ki, Kd and Kg).

Attached a downloaded file.

Thanks

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=f3935949-0180-4f3a-9bf6-90563d2f6ef4&file=BESTWAVE7.cfg
ABB WaveWin is another good COMTRADE viewer. It comes as a part of many ABB relay install packages including WinECP.
You can download WinECP at the link below or just search ABB's website for WinECP. It is a program used to communicate to the ABB DPU2000, TPU2000 and REF550 relays.

http://www05.abb.com/global/scot/scot229.nsf/veritydisplay/0bd3c0d16d520f9d85257611005b31b4/$file/WinECP%20V4.90%20Files%20and%20PSB.zip
It may be that the data log does not include data suitable for a phasors view. Typically, viewing the phasors would require multiple data points per cycle. Regulator data logs typically containg rms values sampled at longer time intervals, like every five minutes or every hour.

I'm here, nothing really to add. My association with Basler was all on the relay side and I've never worked with a DECS, so I don't know what you could or couldn't get from in into BESTwave.

If you're trying to use the datalog to view response for dynamic adjustments you'll be disappointed, the resolution and how it saves the data in a COMTRADE file doesn't work too well, at least in my experience. If you save it as a text file you can get a better looking trend with Excel. But when I do dynamic adjustments I use a Fluke Scopemeter and FlukeView software to get a trend I use to do adjustments. If you're islanded you can monitor the line voltage to get a good idea how well the AVR is responding, if paralleled I look at the field output. Or an old Simpson meter works if you don't need to have something to prove you actually tuned it to someone else.

I do use the datalog feature quite a bit, just never save it in a Comtrade format since I've never been happy with how it looks or if I need to use the info to make a consolidated graph or report.

Hope that helps, Mike L.

Hi JG2828,
Here is the .DAT file going with the .CFG posted.

jghrist, an error message poped about time stamps far away one from the other. That makes me think according to you that the sampling cycle time delay is too long so there aren't enough data to view. But couldn't we reduce the cycle time ?

catserveng, thank you.
I have a Fluke Scopemeter in hand and will perform testing with. The two generators are paralleled now and work together.
When well loaded, the gens active and reactive power balance is constant - active balance from GEN_1 and GEN_2; reactive balance from GEN_01 and GEN_02 -. We monthly stop milling (I'm in a sugar cane factory) for process needs. I'll observe the reaction of the balance when load decreases.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=d35531ff-c157-476e-9837-fbfa06d67bb5&file=BESTWAVE7.dat
I think I understand now. Bestwave is a fairly basic package, I've not used it too much.
My preference for COMTRADE files is SIGRA which comes with Siemens DIGSI software. The same software also comes with Omicron test software, but with a different name (Transanalyse ?)
These show phasors, symmetrical components, RMS values (as a straight line), impedance seen etc.
Most people never use anything else after using it !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back