Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Batch Plotting in ACAD 2004 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbelGus

Industrial
Jan 12, 2005
US
I lay out all of my production drawings in paper space and line up the layouts in order I want them to print,naming the model tabs by the Mark # of each part. Then I plot,"all model tabs" and the drawings come out in some absurd and useless order - 30 to 40 sheets of scrambled pages. In desperation I have resorted to naming the tabs by number - following an absurd numbering system (1 thru 40 does not work - all numbers that begin in 1 are plotted first). Is there a way to get the drawings to plot in the order they are arranged? I do not like labeling the tabs with numbers - our mark system uses letters and numbers associated with the part so we know what drawing is behind each tab. Col-1 PL-1 gus-1, etc. Would hate to give this up as it is very efficient when going back to look for a part - especally when talking to a fabricator or client who may be half a world away.

Working in AutoCad 2004 in Windows XP Professional
All drivers are correct and up to date. Problem occurs on all sorts of printers and plotters.

TNX
Abelgus

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi AbelGus,

Plot optimization is a bit of a black art, and I'm not sure how AutoCAD goes about assigning "who's first" - your best bet may be just to use either a script program to plot with or even cook up your own batch plot program in your favorite programming language. It's been a while but you may see if you can still download a batch plot routine from Autodesk or their script pro porgram - either one may help get you what you need.

HTH
Todd

I also use ACAD 04, and I've noticed that it plots in alphabetical order. Given layouts PL-1 through PL-32, it will plot PL-1, PL-10 through 19, PL-2, PL 20 through 29, pl-3, etc. Try naming them alphabetically instead of numerically.

I'd rather have it plot by tab order, but I haven't figured out how to do that.

"...students of traffic are beginning to realize the false economy of mechanically controlled traffic, and hand work by trained officers will again prevail." - Wm. Phelps Eno, ca. 1928

"I'm searching for the questions, so my answers will make sense." - Stephen Brust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back