Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Batch Printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD80

Mechanical
Feb 27, 2008
US
I'm trying to set up some batch printing where I work. We can't use a pdm system because of multiple locations...among other issues.

We've just moved to one .slddrw file per .sldasm or .sldprt. I'm looking for a program that I can store lists for products. We reuse parts in many different products. I want to be able to store lists to cut down on errors, where not all the parts used in an assembly/product are printed. I've used swBatchPrint v1.4 but it only displays 8 characters and has issues with spaces, this won't work.

Does anyone know of a program that will allow me to setup print lists of SW drawings that can be edited if need be?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Would it be helpful to store pdfs of the solidworks drawing and then have a print list that opened and printed the pdfs? Such a thing may be more readily available than a solidworks utility. Seems like someone well versed in writing macros and VB could generate something pretty slick relatively easily.

-Dustin
Professional Engineer
Certified SolidWorks Professional

ShaggyPE-That's something I'm looking into. It would allow non SW users to create prints.

bmrao123-Is SW scheduler built into PDMworks? The way our multiple locations are setup a PDM system won't work.

sorg-This program looks like what I'm looking for. I'll give it a shot.

JD80,

Have you guys looked at PDMWorks enterprise? It is supposed to allow for multiple locations. I think it is one vault that is replicated but can be set so all the replicated sites update themselves at night. It may also check as files are checked in and out and do individul files as needed. Not that it will solve your printing issue but something to consider for better file management.

EEnd thanks for the plug. Reading this thread i thought the same thing. The real secret to this macro was taking advantage of using AssemblyBOM.swp - Copyright 2003 Leonard Kikstra. I used the option to export to a text file then i just imported that in. Worked good because that way i could save the list as required.

Of course you could pack and go each assembly to a clean directory then run the print drawings macro to print drawings from that dirctory. Then just delete the folder to avoid having 2 copies.

Had i understood pack and go that is what i would have used rather than writing the macro, but the education was nice.

I forgot to mention that this was part of a bigger macro.

I was using the assemblybom macro to give me a list of all the parts of an assembly. I then took this list and imported that into excel and searched the network for all the copies of the files. This gave me a list of all the parts of the assemblies (library parts as well)

In some instances there were 3 or 4 files with the same name in other assemblies folder. I then was able to delete files with the same name but different extensions or library parts(pdf,dxf) then i sorted them and printed out the entire list.

The search function also gave me the file locations so if need be i could search and destroy duplicates also save this off later to print all needed files.

After reading your oroginal post i relaize that pack and go may be the solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back