Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Batch pumping of naptha & crude

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSSHARMA

Petroleum
Sep 1, 2003
IN
I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF IT IS POSSIBLE TO DO BATCH PUMPING OF NAPTHA AND CRUDE THROUGH THE SAME PIPELINE AS WE ARE PALNNING TO USE ONLY ONE PIPE LINE TO TRANSPORT THE TWO PRODUCTS IN DIFFERENT BATCHES.
FURTHER IS IT POSSIBLE TO USE THE SAME PUMP TO THE TWO PRODUCTS.
ANY SIMILIAR CASE MAY ALSO BE REFERRED WHERE NAPTHA AND CRUDE ARE PUMPED IN BATCHES THROUGH ONE COMMAN PIPELINE

SSSHARMA

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Using the same pipeline to transport different materials is commonly done, TransCanada pipelines is just one example.

You will have some mixing at the interface if you don't use a pig to separate the two fluids. I can't help you on estimating the interface volume, I used to have a chart for that but believe I've lost it over the years.

The same pump should work, you'll need to check the hydraulics for your system though for different batch operations. Basically, ensure that the pump discharge pressure when starting to pump the lighter fluid (but moving the previous, heavier fluid through the pipeline) meets your requirements. Check your pipeline profile versus pressure profile to make sure you don't go into slack flow if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back