Bath protective nylon film material

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadovanML

Industrial
May 20, 2015
RS
Hello,

I am working on sterile disposable protection for baby bath. I need to make protective cover that will come as sterile and placed on the bath surface so it protects baby from unclean (bacterial) bath surface. I need this cover to to fit exactly (with some tolerances) to bath shape but also to be flexible and waterproof. It needs to be flexible like for example polyester bag or medical protective covers for shoes or similar. This is because it needs be packed in very small volume for distribution.

What interests me what material and technology would be best to produce this. I did a research and didn't find any complex shape and single piece plastic bags on market. All flexible plastic bags and covers are made of 2 or more flat films that are hot welded in order to produce some shape. I would like to have it in single piece. I was thinking on some cold extrusion where I would use flat nylon/polyester film and cold extrude it to required shape, but not sure is this possible. Maybe there is some other method?

The example of bath that I would put a cover:
index_ntpdmg.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For now only possibly acceptable method would be blown film extrusion. What concerns me is can it produce complex shapes. I do not need to have exact shape it can differ few mm but shape of cover needs to be close fit to shape of the bath.

Extrusion is the process used to form a flat film. Your part would be made by starting with a roll of flat film and then vacuum forming the film into the shape you require. Look for YouTube videos on vacuum forming. Your product will be much easier to use if you take a stiff polymer like polyester and nest the liners so you can package 50 liners in the same space as one. If you fold the liner for packaging, you will need to use a very soft polymer. It will get distorted and the user will have to use more effort to fit it properly. It will also not stay in place as well. PVC films would also work well, and can be made stiff or soft.

Hi Compositepro, thanks for answer. It has to be flexible/soft since requirement is to be packed into single very tiny box. Also this cover will not be final product it needs to have fittings for drain and sensor housing made of plastic and silicone edge and other accessories so it can't be packed in manner you proposed.

I was thinking to use hot welding for silicone and adhesive to assemble complete product. Vacuum extrusion looks suitable, only concerns me can I get it to be flexible and after extrusion can I use those two approaches to assemble the product (surely it wont be easy to fit all attachments to flexible part but will work on that later).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back