Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

battery charger inhibit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILCML

Electrical
Jan 4, 2007
US
In reading up on battery chargers, I see some have an inhibit property, and some do not. Apparently the ones that do "sink current" when input power is removed.
Is the current they are talking about the leakage input current or leakage output current or something else altogether?
What would the advantage be of one to the other?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I dont know about anyone else, but the inhibit function on wheel chair battery chargers, is to basically prevent Grandma from tearing off down the hallway while the charger connected to her wheelchair is connected to the AC mains ( a recipe for disaster). It usually is some sort of an open emmiter/drain type of transistor/mosfet stage that sinks whatever enable signal from the wheelchair's motor controller to a low logic state;thus preventing a drive-away.
The chargers I prototype are programmable and thus can either inhibit "high" or inhibit "low" depending on client's choice.A number of manufacturers supply this either as standard or as an option. If youre going to buy a ton,make sure you indicate your preference after evaluating the prototype so they can include in the encodement of the battery charger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back