Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Battery maintenance schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palletjack

Electrical
Jan 1, 2016
US
Looking to write a procedural sheet for battery inspections in substations.
What do you guys do monthly? annually? Etc
How often you equalize? Clean or wash down the batteries to wash off the residual acid from the top vents when equalizing?

We load test ours every three years through an outside vendor, but our monthly needs attention.
I’m also looking to buy the guys a good hydrometer that data logs.
They are getting specific gravity readings, and I just found out the temp measurements they are recording is ambient, rather than cell temp.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For flooded cell monthly gavity measurement of each cell, individual cell voltage after putting on load for ~15 min, Discharge test on C/10 after 3 years. Taking cell temperature for each cell is tediuos job. it takes time to settle thermometer to exect temperature, so not being done.

We use the Anton Parr and the Alber analyzer. We have a visual inspection weekly as part of our weekly plant checks, voltage checks monthly, integrity inspections (essentially a more thorough visual) every 3 months. Full maintenance (SG, analyze) annually. We do equalize on demand (only if required as a result of poor readings or analyzing results). I want to say we do load testing every 4 years.

start with reviewing the manufacturer's manual and also the IEEE standards on batteries. I don't remember the std number as it has been a number of years since I dealt with batteries but there may be a inspection sheet in those that you can use.
At the nuclear plants I worked at we used the DMA 35 that came with the test set but there are probably other makes that will record, SG, temp, in a reading to download as well as other features.

One monthly reading that alot people don't do is to measure the ac ripple at the battery terminals. I believe the limit is 5 mV but that should be in the manufacturer's literature. High ac ripple can lead to battery heating and is indicative of the filtering caps in the battery charger failing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back