Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Battery poles connencting strip repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

CostasV

Mechanical
May 29, 2003
GR
We found that our second hand battery operated vehicle (made in 2001) had some heavily corroded connecting strips. Luckily the corroded part is in the middle of the strips, leaving the ends relatively in good condition. The corrosion is such that only the half of the cross section of the strip is left uncorroded, in 2 of the 11 strips. The other 9 strips look good.
After asking the vehicle manufacturer to send us a quote to replace the connecting strips, he told us that the strips are not replaceable. So, it needs to replace the 12 cells (each cell gives 2 V). But the batteries look they are doing their job, and to replace them it cost many thousand euro.

Question 1 : Any recommendation how to repair this?
Question 2 : I am thinking to put two "jaws" (jaw = two pieces 15mmX40mm , 3mm thick, bolted together) at each end of the (corroded) strip and to insert another (healthy solid) strip inside these jaws. What is the best material for these jaws and new strip? Copper? Or steel with copper coating? Or something else? The material of the existing strips is copper with coating of lead and tin.

connecting_strip_yod8ax.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd disconnect the pack on one end.

Then I'd get a Dremmel tool with a fist full of wire brush bits and clean the $#&@#^@ out of the link removing all traces of corrosion.

Then using a HIGH POWER soldering copper I'd lay solder over the entire link(s) - very generously. Literally fatten up the link by at least an 1/8".

If the link is seriously narrowed solder a piece of copper across the narrowed region bridging it.

The key here is that you cannot overheat the lead end-posts. This is why you need a high power soldering copper. If you don't have enough power to get in-and-out quickly the result will be the heating of the end posts with the potential to mess them up or to actually damage the associated battery plates.

Of course, doing this requires you to have solid Personal Protection Equipment, at the very least safety glasses, a respirator, and tight leather gloves.

Keith Cress
kcress -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back