Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Battery rating and use...can I substitute..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmartCar

Mechanical
Jul 30, 2020
CA
Hi Guys and Gals:
I have a simple question which I am not sure is possible without damaging my GPS unit...?
The unit requires a 3.7 V,820 mAh , 3.03 Wh battery and I would like to know can I install a larger battery to extend the life or run time, this is the battery.....3.7 V, 1100 mAh, 4.1 Wh.
Is this even possible or should I simply stop trying to make things better and install stock battery. lol. Sorry if this is a stupid question but i have never needed to question this before.

Thanks for any help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So long as the voltage is correct and you can get a larger capacity battery to fit, there's no problem. Not that long ago, laptops used to come with removable batteries, and there were after-market batteries that stuck WAY out of the original envelope to get increases in ampacity.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Your GPS may die trying to charge the larger battery if the battery is allowed to run down.
Running is no problem, charging may be a problem.

[link ]Bill[/url]
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Thanks for the quick replies....excellent...
The units are rarely unplugged from the vehicles, so I doubt they would normally get run down but if the heat of the sun destroys the batteries, then they are constantly being recharged when the car is operational correct. So would that damage the GPS circuitry?? Trying to charge the larger 1100mAh, 4.1 Wh rated battery ..? The mAh rating jump seems like a good thing along with the 4.1Wh jump....???
I did take a year of electronic eng. what seems like a thousand years ago....before switching over to mechanical eng. which was simple for my grey matter at the time to accept...damned black magic....lol.

The charger will be putting out a constant current for most of the charge, no danger there at all. In fact it will be a gentler charge for the battery, so that's good (assuming it's from a reputable manufacturer.)

Some chargers have a time out function as an added safeguard, so going to a much larger battery (like 2 or 3 times the capacity) might not fully charge, but going from 820 to 1100 mA-h should be negligible for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back