Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Beam- Column connection advise needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

SATM

Civil/Environmental
Aug 5, 2024
US
i am relatively new to str design with steel. i have uploaded an image to aid with my question. i have to design a 2 level small office building, ground fl and first fl. for the image, on the left is a part of the building plan, and "design A" is the beam col detail im considering, the beam bottom flange resting directly on the CS of the column. my thinking is that a continuous beam resting directly on the column will have excellent load transfer and maybe simplify the connection or atleast. for the connection im thinking an end plate welded to top of column and bolts tru the bottom flange and the end plate. problem is i have only ever seen this connection in an image once and never in practice.
desing B is the version i see commonly in steel structures, the way the beam is connected to the column. an end plate on the end of beam ad bolted to each left and right flange of column. im thinking for this 1. the beams would need to be segmented (fit between clear spans of columns) and the connection would become more complex (more bolts and plates needed) and it seems loads will all be transfered tru bolt shear, and maybe some plate friction. it does not seem as economical, simple or stable as Design A. but again thats just my (not so experienced) judgement, and i do see it in the upper floor of most steel frames.
my question is is design A even a valid option, and if so is it as i assumed, more stable and higher load bearing than design B ?

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=144efc2d-6947-4b2e-87a1-5838f02664fe&file=str.PNG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In my experience connection A is very common and economical. Especially when you have cantilever beams at the top level of your columns. That goes for all types of projects. Commercial and industrial.

Connection B is very common for industrial projects (which is where most of my design experience comes from). And, is preferable when the columns have to extend up to floors above.

For some reason, Bolted End Plate connections are not as widely used in commercial construction where I think directly welded moment connections are more common.

indeed as you say its in many multi level structures that the col extends up 2 to 3 stories and the beams are connected to it at each level. and mine being one level, the col dont need to extend past the first fl. for reference this if for an office layout, a 6" slab will be poured and a few offices and open concept cubicles will occupy the 106'x60' floor space. i hear you on the welded connections. i would much prefer to have welded moment connections for everything, as that should add to the stiffness and load bearing cap. of the members. only issue is the cost, im made to understand that welded moment connections in the field are much more expensive that pre-fab and bolted connections.

at any rate is there any kind of resource to aid with such a connection design ? so far i have been using skyciv , as i find the interface easy to use, helpful for a relative beginner as me. but unfortunately they lack a module to design such a connection. they have only for design B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back