Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

beam design...???

Status
Not open for further replies.

serenade

Civil/Environmental
Sep 1, 2003
PH
im designing the beams for a preliminary requirement included on my first project inquiry (the same project ive asked before). it turned out that the assumed dimensions were smaller than those i had computed in my design. it was taught that if the design dimension is greater than the assumed, i have to start again the load analysis with a greater dimension and repeat the procedures for the design until the resulting dimensions are smaller or equal to the assumed or preliminary design.

is there anything i can do so as not to repeat the computations?

thank you for any help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is where engineering judgment comes into play. When you have enough experience, you will probably be able to evaluate the effect of changing parameters without redoing the calculations. If this is your first project, I would recommend spending the time to redo the calcs so you can develop a good feel for design.

That's right
Try to calculate by hand first, the re-analysis to check your result. it is good for you to cummulate your experience.
If you gain the reletive stiffnes between two times of analysis are tolerable enough. it's the reasonable section.
good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back