Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Beam foundation stone wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rippst20

Civil/Environmental
Jan 28, 2020
TR
I own a big land with some olive trees in it and this terrain has a slope like 30 degrees downhill and it has natural soil sets built in the past.I am planning to build stone wall on a rc beam foundation 50 cm wide with a 30 cm depth and above this a wall of 1 m high and columns at 5 m interval.My question If I make a beam foundation with some slope let's say 5 degree,will there be any structural problems carrying a 40 cm wide stone wall,1 m high, it's a area with lots of rains in winter time,also it has a clayey soil.The contracter is very experienced about stone walls, but I want the wall to have slight slope but at some points with high ground level differences I will have to put columns to descend the wall while going down at this place.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Would step foundation an option? You surely need to replace the clayey soil with compacted free draining subbase.

Yes,step foundation will work the best but too many steps will be needed to be built, thats my issue I am looking for some alternatives to decrease the steps number without sacrificying the structural strength.The contracter didn't come out with any extra thing need to be done for the subbase
like a compactable subbase like gravel.He believes it's not a disturbed soil so no compaction required for the wall base.I need to convince him to make a subbase,I think he doesnt have any concerns for the base taking into account the wall foundation width.It seems controversial that a base work must be done.Thanks for your comments..

I am with you on providing a well compacted subbase, unless you are founding on the rock, or informed by a geotechnical consultant. I think you can mix leveled steps with mild slope in between. I agree, too many short steps is not desirable.

You are providing very little information. What is the purpose of the stone wall? How long is it, 5 meters or 500 meters? You say the existing soil is undisturbed, but also say there are natural soil sets.

Considering the state of the construction industry in Turkey where there have been numerous failures over the years, if this project is a significant investment on you part, you should contact a geotechnical consultant for advice.

It will be a perimeter wall,just for property safety and nice looking for the land.It's about 500 meters long, 1 m stone wall below it, there'll be 50×30 cm reinforced concrete beam foundation and columns at 5-6 m long intervals.Natural soil sets is like 100 years old.The dry stone walls were built to retain these sets but now the old stone walls collapsed and there natural soil sets left.Will putting a subbase like compacted 5 cm gravel under concrete beam foundation do any job like stopping rainy water channeling under base soil or it is not an issue to think about.The land has a rectangular shape and the long sides has a 30-40 angle slope.
Will mild sloped stone walls with rc foundation beams above non compacted soil with a sufficient bearing capacity make any concerns after heavy rains.
To the wall contracter the soil is clayey at top but 50 cm below has a good bearing capacity to carry the wall load and the beam load so there's nothing to worry about

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back