Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Beam load on rim board

Status
Not open for further replies.

JStructsteel

Structural
Aug 22, 2002
US
How do you guys feel about a beam load on a rim board? Would be about a 2-3K concentrated load on the board w/ a hanger of some sort. I can double up the rim joist if need be for the fasteners.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd feel better hangering than providing post from above since you don't have the crushing action. Are you still providing a built-up post below to take the load, or can a single stud within the wall suffice?

Careful with the hanger spec, you may require minimum of double rim board just to find an applicable hanger depending on your beam depth. Using Simpson's tool makes it quite easy to find a design and print-to-pdf for design notes.

There would be a concrete wall below. Im already expecting a double rim board. I think I will just do a beam seat the more I think about it.

I can't imagine a situation where the load would actually go into the rim board, unless you have an opening below and the rim is actually a header. If that's the case, as long as it's sized as a header it would be fine.

As long as it's been checked for the stresses and serviceability don't see an issue.

Excerpt from TJ-8000: Trus Joist Rim Board: Link
Capture_phsii2.jpg

Ok, sorry, I should have mentioned this would frame in from the outside of the house. Simpson hanger to support it.

My worries would be the eccentricity on the rim board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back