Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

beam over column design

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJoe2

Mechanical
Apr 18, 2024
US
Hi there, I am hoping to get some insight on beam over column connections and erecting practices. I have a design that has 4 columns (labeled as c in attahced) vertically installed between w12x96 beams (labeled as b in the attached). The columns are 10 ft long, 8x8 tubes with 1" thick top and bottom plates. The beams and column plates are intended to be pre drilled prior to assembly. I am concerned that if the beam flange is not square, it will skew the column such that it won't line up with the holes in the beam above it. Are slotted shims normally used to plumb the columns in this type of connection?

Thank you.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=32e5c1b8-59fd-4038-b4d0-e1546303ecec&file=Drawing_2.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Pretty common detail. The beam flange is square on the outside of the flange, slightly sloped on the inside. But that should not be a problem in your case.

Screen-Shot-2016-12-13-at-2.25.48-PM-e1589316033237_ddiiya.png

I've done hundreds of these (thousands?); as BART notes it is a common connection. I'm not sure what your concerns about misalignment are. It's not a common concern. Ironworkers deal with slight misalignment in their daily chores. I always use a web stiffener for this type of connection. It's not for web crippling, but to maintain the elastic section of the beam over.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back