Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bearing Design Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BfdDan

Mechanical
Nov 29, 2006
US
Hello- We have a bearing application where we we have a roll turning in a block. The ID of the roll would be the outer race and a steel pin the inner race. The cylindrical pins (needle bearings?) are spaced in the gap. I believe this is a full complement bearing. I am looking for design guidelines to improve our design/life. For example when the bearings, Roll, and Pin are assembled should there be a gap between the bearings or should they all be touching? What is the ideal clearance between the bearings and the ID and OD?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is the bearing size(ID, OD, Thickness), Shaft RPM, Load, Environment?

Heckler [americanflag]
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SWx 2007 SP 4.0 & Pro/E 2001
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

This post contains no political overtones or undertones for that matter and in no way represents the poster's political agenda.

It is usually best and most economical to design with standard commercial items, possibly Chantland Pulley, Interoll, or PCI Mfg.

Russell Giuliano

There are "rules" to select minimum circumferential clearance in full complement bearings. These "rules" are not always published. INA, for example, has an internal document called A315 (I believe my memory is correct) that shows the minimum clearance required as a function of the bearing diameter and roller diameter.
The document also includes the recommeneded tolerances for both shaft (inner ring) and housing (outer ring).
If you do not get them to help you, let me know and I will e-mail you a copy (I have one somewhere). Most of the information you will need to design a full complement needel bearing is contained in the INA catalogue (engineering section). In the catalogue 306 this starts at page 67.
The PRG that Tmoose suggested does not have much engineering data, though it shows all product available from the company.

Volpegrigia- Can you post a link to the document? I wasn't able to find it.

Dan

Hello

I am in front of choosing right material(Teflon, Turcite, or Rulon???) for Bushing type of the bearing. Main shaft made of 316 SS crom plated, rotate up to 15000Rpm. Bushing is cylindrical.
Please any suggestions.
Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back