Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Bearing Hollow Ball 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buds_Take

Mechanical
Mar 27, 2020
US
I was reviewing a previous post on odd bearing failures. Someone mentioned they wanted to see an image of a hollow-ball. I wish I had a better image, but I pulled these from an old MRC (now SKF) failure catalog. This failure normally occurs in a "radial preload" failure and normally chalked up to inadequate lubrication. The idea is that their is intermittent interruption of the oil supply. I have read that some believe this is due to oxygen content or inclusions, old catalogs say the exact mechanism is not completely understood. It is known that the hollow ball is not the root cause it is just a symptom. If you have better pictures or samples I'd like to purchase them! Thanks! Search and read Bud's Take.
Hollow_ball_pictures_aju0sc.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The boss sent me some pictures of the hollow-ball he keeps captive on his desk! Crazy this rolling element, which was a ball is now shaped like a triangle.

Hollow_ball_4_u7fqt9.jpg

Hollow_ball_6_gckeez.jpg
Hollow_ball_2_k9jjji.jpg

Is it obvious that we are looking at the original bearing exterior and not a bearing that has peeled apart and then effectively reformed sort of like a rolly poly--caused by spherical confinement of the cage and race?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back