Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bearing material

Status
Not open for further replies.

mottto

Mechanical
Jun 22, 2005
US
Hi ,
I am looking for a bearing material , to be used in a vertical Pump , The water to be pumped is 140 degree f. The water has high level of sulfate (1087 mg/l) and chloride (879 mg/l) Total hardness is 1630 mg/l. I was looking into using PEEK or Thordon material. Anybody has used / or can comment on this application.
Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We use a Dupont material called Vespel in some similar services. We use it in several multi-stage horizontal boiler feed water pumps, a dozen or more vertical volute pumps in oily water sewer service and a few vertical turbine pumps in cold condensate service. We have had very good luck. PEEK tends to be expensive and I have never tried the Thordon material. I am not in my office and don't recall the exact grade of Vespel we use. But anyone that sells the stuff could direct you to the best blend for your service.

While graphalloy has been around a while and has proven itself as a bearing material, my experience with Vespel in some boiler feed pump wear rings and interstage bushings has been excellent. None of the mentioned materials are cheap but the Vespel cost is really high.

Get hold of your nearest Flowserve Seal Division Representative. Greentweed provided material and design for a non gauling material that upgrades many vertical pumps. Flowserve Seal Division is the authorized distributor of this material.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back