Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Bearing plate on concrete

Status
Not open for further replies.

JStructsteel

Structural
Aug 22, 2002
US
Got a precast wall that is bearing on a slab, via a stub tube from the back of the wall. They didnt put the bearing plate in the concrete. They dont want us drilling into the slab, due to PT strand, more than 3/4" deep.

No tension load, not shear load.

My thoughts are to put small rebar pins on a plate, and use a epoxy adhesive as a bedding for a plate. It would provide some anchorage. Roughen the concrete on the slab.

thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

More details with a sketch would be better .
I would consider two options ;

i- detect the PT strand locations and use expansion bolt or chemical anchor ,

ii- roughen the concrete slab and use continuous epoxy mortar bed and check the mortar shear similar to the masonry wall design.

Use it up, wear it out;
Make it do, or do without.

NEW ENGLAND MAXIM

here is the original detail. They dont want us drilling in post installed anchors more than 3/4" deep. Im leaning towards the epoxy mortar bed w/ small "nibs" of rebar that are 3/4" long into the slab. Again, no load other than vertical, and perhaps a small amount of friction load from panel movement.
Bearing_Plate_Detail_h3eysg.jpg

With care, there is nothing wrong with drilling into PT slabs; their requirement may be a bit unreasonable. Does the plate only take vertical load from the panel and possible lateral load from wind. There is no moment applied to the plate. Can you weld a BAR 1/2x1/2 to the bottom of the plate to fit into a cut in the slab to resist shear and use tapcons, or something of that ilk, to secure the plate to the slab?

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

dik,
They dont want to allow any drilling deeper than 3/4"

This connection is bearing only, tie backs take wind load, etc.

This is my current detail

Bearing_Plate_Detail_fcbslc.jpg

Something like using the BAR stock... I like the use of 'glue'... in lieu of tapcons... why the 1/4" bed?

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Just let the irregularities be filled with epoxy and the plate bears on the concrete. Unless the slab is very irregular, 1/4" is excessive for a small area... and let shims take care of the vertical difference.

-----*****-----

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back