Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Bearing Requirement for Large Pressure Vessel Davit 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sisaacs

Structural
Mar 13, 2022
CA
I've been tasked with designing a top davit for a filter, and the design weight of the top blind flange is 6,750 lb. I've designed a few davits in my career using Procedure 6-1 in the Pressure Vessel Design Manual (Moss) but none with such a large load. The davits I have designed have all been the basic "sleeve a pipe into a larger pipe and add a ton of grease so it'll rotate easily" type, but my customer (vessel fabrication shop) is asking if we should go to a roller bearing or other bearing type for a davit loaded this heavily. I'm hoping someone with relevant experience can answer two questions:

1. Is a bearing required here? Where's the load limit at which a bearing starts to make sense?
2. I'm an oil & gas structural guy; I don't really know how to go about specifying a bearing for this application (or for any application, really). What kind of bearing would make sense? I know I'm likely going to need to loop in a mechanical engineer on this, but I'd like to have some ideas.

The davit will have a 5-ton manual chain hoist for lifting the top flange.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

sisaacs, i have supplied a number of davits as part of shell & tube HX designs. Most were nothing special and were usually detailed to a company standard, so no real design needed. I have had a couple where it was obvious something a little more special was needed. I have detailed out oil holes a number if times. Don't recall ever fitting a grease zerk, but it could be done.

1) Don't know of any stated limits. I'd think if a reasonably close fit between davit arm and sleeve is made then perhaps a plain (bronze, oilite, etc) thrust bearing would be beneficial. Plain sleeve bearings could be furnished as well. A roller thrust bearing could be furnished, but I'd worry a little about weather.

2) Talk to a bearing apps engineer.

I have always thought it a little odd that no provision is made for turning the davit. I have thought of a couple of lugs to put a pinch bar thru, or for larger davits, to attach a chian fall to.

Best of luck,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

SnTMan, thanks for your advice, it's very helpful. I've often wondered about the lack of provision for turning the davit as well; I would guess that if a couple of operators can't move it by hand they just loop a sling around the davit arm and use a chain fall, probably cursing engineers the whole time :)

1) Diameter of the pressure vessel?
2) As information See PIP Standard VEFV1119 Column Davit up to 2000 lbs load
3) I consider 100% powered davit crane is required.

Regards

r6155:

1) 54" OD, 3.25" wall thickness
2) I am aware of the PIP standard; I am here to discuss ways in which a davit supporting nearly 7,000 lb would differ from one supporting up to 2,000 lb.
3) It is definitely not required, but I agree that a manual hoist is not the most user-friendly choice. I will point out to my customer the amount of chain the operators will need to pull through the 5-ton manual chain hoist they've selected (roughly 300 feet) and they can decide if they want to use a powered hoist instead. It's possible that the end user's plan is to procure the unit with a manual hoist and then swap it out for a powered hoist right away using opex budget.

sisaacs,
I just finished one project with several vessels fabricated in China. They did design davit sleeve with bearings at each end for rotation, also furnished a chain hoist at the davit arm, exactly what you are talking about. I can not give you the details, but the bearing is Chinese standard GB/T 297-2-15, material 32314, GB/T 288-2013,material 22220. Or you can contact Morimatsu (Jaingsu) Heavy Industry Co.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back