Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

BEARING SELECTION 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toranag9

Agricultural
May 20, 2024
US
Hey guys, i'm new here so please bear with me.
I need help choosing a low profile but heavy duty bearing for this pivoting wheel. It does take a lot of weight and pressure. the one that I am currently using is a pillow block bearing for a 1" shaft. This is only rnd so i'm am honestly open to redesigning a lot of it.
We used a pillow block only because it was the most accessible but we soon realized it was not strong enough.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=8712664b-f04b-407c-b3ca-a6a9f5a5460a&file=bearing_selection.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need a pair of bearings - plenty of arrangements possible. A bigger view of the complete mechanism would help.

Possibly, a bearing with a spherical seat could also work without any modifications. The spherical seat will allow the bearing to support misaligned loads without being overloaded. This reduces the stiffness required by the system.

I would first start with any bearing used in a front wheel drive car axle. These are often one-piece double angular contact ball bearings or two taper roller bearings back-to-back or face-to-face and shimmed/adjusted to a very small clearance or preload.

That assembly reminds me of the front wheel of a zero-turn mower. I'd definitely download some parts diagrams for a zero-turn and consider their layouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back