Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bearing stress on hole

Status
Not open for further replies.

daspferd88

Mechanical
May 3, 2016
US
For a hollow tube inside a hollow tube, with a pin passing through both and a force pushing down on the innermost tube, what would the bearing stress be on the holes (assuming tube wall thickness is equal)? Would the equivalent reaction force be F/4 since the pin is passing through 4 holes? So for example, say this is a jack stand with a 36,000 pound load on it. Would the bearing stress for each hole then be, 36,000/4 = 9000. Then bearing stress = F/td ? 9000/td Where t is wall thickness of tube and d is hole diameter?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

F/2 ... yes, 4 holes but the load is being applied on two of them (the ones in the inner tube) and getting reacted on the 2 holes on the outer tube. then, yes, bearing stress = P/dt ... compare to the material bearing allowable (not Ftu).

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

Do a free body diagram. First take the inner rod and you'll notice that the pin will exert F/2 load on each hole of the inner rod; then take the rod which is resisting the sum of the two F/2 which is F and in turn subject the outer rod two hole a load of F/2.
A free body diagram always helps determining forces and reactions.

A sketch would proabbly help, but what do you mean by "bearing stress on the holes"? I picture this arrangement to be horizontal, but then you mentioned a jack stand; In that case there is a friction, or a piece that mechanically engages like a pawl, if I'm thinking about this correctly. However, saying that bearing stress would be F/td makes it seem that you're projecting the force from teh inner tube across the inner tube's dull diameter and teh thickness of the outer tube. Couple things: a) Isn't that really a shear stress, in which case you'd want to be looking at double plane shear. If you were using the full inner tube diamter, I think you'd be looking at F/dL where L is the length of the tube; and b) I would look at the size of the inner tube outside diam compared to the outer tube inside diam. Unless is a very tight fir, you won't have full contact and thus would project the force F across the full inner tube OD, d. You might look at Duerr 2008, "ASME BTH-1 Pinned Connection Design Provisions", and ASME BTH-1-2014; they both include a provision for estimating the actual contact width of a pinned connection.

Just $0.02, apologies if I've misunderstood your setup here and this doesn't apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back