Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bearing substitute : Any Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechantaeus

Mechanical
Aug 3, 2004
US
I am part of a full fledged cost reduction program at our firm. Recently the purchasing department asked me to look at a bearing substitute (NYLA-K mounted ball bearings-MB Manufacturing). We are currently using bearing blocks from Boston Gear that is three time the price.

Any comments/experiences with the same ?
-mechantaeus.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

MB Manufacturing was bought by Rexnord. They are very high quality bearings and are made by MB/Rexnord. MB, especially before Rexnord bought them, always had suprisingly good prices considering you are getting a bearing made as good as any mounted unit. Boston Gear does not make bearings, they sell them. Boston Gear is an excellent company but I would buy the MB before I bought the Boston Gear sourced bearing.

Yeah, willdo is right. If you use any volume at all, go straight to the source, or as close to it as possible. No offense, but Boston Gear is quite an expensive distributor.

NKN, SKF, INA are prominent bearing manufacturers, distributers are in most urban North America area(s).

Consider setting up an account with them and coming to terms on volume purchased through the year. Typically business discounts range from 5% to 10% off LIST PRICE. Play one against the other and pick the best deal. Easy enough!

Kenneth J Hueston, PEng
Principal
Sturni-Hueston Engineering Inc
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back