Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Bearing Tolerance - Radial, Axial and Tilt angle ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

umatrix

Mechanical
Jul 18, 2013
US
I have a rod/ shaft with a hall sensor that senses a magnet. I purchased a general bearing from Granger, mini ball Brg 626 6mm Bory Alloy Stl Item # 49DD56.

The bearing seems to have excessive radial or tilt angle as shown in the image.

Bearing_lhbhke.jpg

The problem is the hall sensor is measuring the magnetic field (rotation) however the unwanted tilt of that shaft is giving errors, as the sensor also reads magnetic distance.

I need a more precise bearing. However, I am having trouble finding the right description for what is wrong.

Is this radial play or tilt, and how to correct it?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How much radial motion variation of the magnet can you tolerate, and how much do you have with the current arrangement?

shafts generally need two bearings spaced far enough apart to turn the tilting loads into two radial loads.
Then when properly guided the motion allowed by the 626 bearing would be approximately the nominal internal clearance of the 626 bearing . This ignores the fits between the 6 mm shaft and the bearing ID, and the bearing OD and whatever housing the 262 is mounted in.

What is at the upper end of the 6mm rod? A motor or something to spin the road and magnet?
Perhaps that hidden upper component has enough radial stiffness to provide additional guidance.

First start by designing a proper support. You can't achieve what you want with a single deep groove ball bearing. At a minimum you'll need a double row bearing or better, two bearings. Once the support is properly designed the deflection can be predicted using general fits and tolerances information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back