Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bearings for Old Lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhodrons

Mechanical
Feb 11, 2005
FR
We have a number of old Lefevre Glass Working Lathes that are in need of overhaul. These are large diameter (8"+) through bore headstock lathes used in the glass-working industry. The Lefevre company seems to have sunk without trace. Does anyone know of a source of any information that exists describing the type/sizes of bearings used in these lathes? My particular concern is for the headstock bearings. A similar 14" bore lathe lathe can be viewed at

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Rhodrons,
First, have you asked someone from Heathway? Generally, someone is a resident historian of the industry.
Second, when were these made? If in the first half of the twentieth century then they stand a good chance of being poured or babbitt bearings and your choices are different.

Griffy

What would be the problem with taking a peak to see what the material type was? I think prior to roller bearings, most machine tool precision bearings prior to 1970 were bronze not babbit. If the bearing is bronze there are any number of people who can specify a replacement for you. It would be interesting to rebuild those machines.

You might give these people a call. It’s been a few years but the person that I spoke with knew just about anything you need to know about older bearings.

First I would get all the information one can about the subject bearing/s. Even one mark will sometimes guide a knowledgeable person to a source or reference to the bearing in question, it happened to me several times.

There is such an assortment of bearings available now that you stand a very good chance of finding a replacement even if a different style/type. If you can get close you might use a tolerance ring.

We had several glass working lathes and 2 of them used a set of caged roller bearings in the headstock.

I agree the modern approach is to utilize caged roller bearings. With any luck your machine is new enough that these were available when it was built. Prior to zero precision roller bearings being available the preferred method was to use precision bronze bearings. It is not likely that you can economically change the machine from plain bearings to roller bearings without undertaking a major re-design effort.

Plain bearings, if that is what was used, will likely have to be fabricated for your particular use.

Dan Price

(President)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back