Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Beefing up RAM to 8 GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Decca

Mechanical
Dec 28, 2007
AU
I'm running some FEA on tanks and vessels and am finding the computer is crashing the dof reach about 700,000. At other times the CPU usage is hitting the maximum causing processing delays.

The machine is a HP XW4600 with 4GB RAM (2x2 GB DDR2-800 ECC), Intel Core 2 duo E6850 chip and and Quadro FX1700 video card with 64 bit XP OS.

I want to upgrade to a total of 8 GB of RAM. Is this a straight forward operation of adding in extra RAM memory sticks or are there other things to be tweeked to get maximum performance.

Thanks in advance,

Derek Bishop

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
you missed the most important info, i.e. which operating system are you running?
With Win XP 32 bits, no use adding up to 8GB RAM: the O.S. will always "see" and use 3GB, not more.
With this O.S., be sure to have the flag "/3GB" set in your boot.ini file.
If you want to take advantage of more than 3GB RAM, you have three ways: 32-bits Linux, 64-bits Win XP, 64-bits Linux.
Regards

The informationwas given in the first post 'with 64 bit XP OS'.

Wiil be interested to hear comments.

Thanks

Derek

Hi,
oops, sorry, read with too little attention...
Generally, mounting RAM sticks is a really straightforward operation (add up and go).
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back