Behavior of Channel Section- Discussion 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

saruncivil

Structural
Oct 31, 2012
AE
Dear Engineers,

How the channel steel section is differentiate from other sections.
Behaviour of channel section in minor axis...?
what are the advantage and dis advantage of channel section...?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Channel sections have a shear centre off the web and on the opposite side as the flanges. This makes channels difficult to load without inducing torsion. As such, channels are often used as beams in applications with frequent lateral torsional bracing.

Things to like about channels:

1) Their nominal depth is their real depth. This simplifies detailing sometimes.

2) The flat side is easy to connect too. They make great stair stringers.

3) They make slick single member tension only cross braces and RTU frames.

4) Laid flat, six and twelve inch channels can be set into steel roof deck flutes so that you can stack heavy things on roofs.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

thank you for your reply sir.

so for every vertical load, channel section will prone to behave in both inplane and out off plane moment...

You're most welcome. The channel will see strong axis bending and torsion but not weak axis bending if loaded eccentrically as a strong axis beam.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Like most shapes, weak axis bending will have limited capacity but no tendency to laterally torsionally buckle. Loads will likely be applied to the web and local web bending effects may need to be considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back