Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Behavior of floating structure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megaman8

Mechanical
Jan 19, 2016
IL
Hello All

My goal is to improve the floating stability of the following structure(attached JPG) my biggest problem is to calculate it's "center of rotation"
The structure is 90% submerged, It's floating center is higher the the mass center there for it is מaturally stable, now the question is should i consider it's C.M as the rotation axis?
or should i go and calculate its metacenter because it is not fully submerged.

Thanks all
Jenia.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=d3e16f56-f51d-4490-9725-6eb651508091&file=??????1.JPG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Calculate the metacenter and do the usual stability calcs. Are you shooting for a specific metacentric height? I didn't open the file.

The bottom horizontal part of the hollow structure must be parallel to the water line, sometime water can lack inside and till the structure.
I need to design the right size floats and it's distance from the center of the structure to overcome the weight of the licked water and maintain economical
solution

you are right, but in this case the structure must be hollow to ledd air to it's bottom part.
my only problem is to understand if the mass center or metacenter are the rotation point of the structure, the moment i will be able to find the rotation point is the moment i will be able to creat a free body diagram from this point it is simple mechanical engineering.

Do you think i need treat the metacenter as the rotation point of the hole system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back