Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Belt and Chain Conveyor Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

PennStateIE

Industrial
Mar 3, 2005
US
I've recently started a new job and it's great. My new job consists of doing layouts and engineering systems. The one problem I'm having is there is no training what so ever and I'm the only technical person in the company. I am being asked to problem solve some conveyor issues...but I have no experience dealing with motors/belt type/drives. I've always only had to do the layouts...the where and how...and now I'm being asked for to develop the specs and be able to solve issues.

Anyone know of any good books (or any at all) on basic conveyor design issues, including sizing motors?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are various publications that cover the design of Belt Conveyors.
In the UK there is the MHEA (Materials Handling Engineers Association) Recommended Practice for Trough Belt Conveyors.
In the US there is the CEMA (Conveyor Equipment Manufacturers Association) Belt Conveyors for Bulk Materials.
If you approach manufacturers of conveyor belts then some of these used to supply free design guides (I have one from Continental Gummi-Werke in Germany).

Chain conveyors will probably be more of a problem as most of the knowledge is held by conveyor manufacturing companies who regard it as commercially confidental. There may be some suppliers of conveying chains who can help you with basic design information.

Thanks. I've read the Hytrol book, and I'm familiar with layouts and basic parts of various types of conveyors. I'm just not sure of stuff like when to use an end-drive motor or whether the motor should be on the discharge or infeed end or even what type of motor is best (TEFC vs. TENV 1 HP vs. 1/2 HP)...etc. I believe I have a solid foundation, I just can't seem to find information on the nitty-gritty stuff that I feel I need to be a true asset to my company.

I may be rushing it a little too...I can't go to training until December, so everything that I've learned so far has been on my own.

Here is Webster Industries Inc website and is especially heavy on drag and roller chain.
The site is a little rough to navigate but has a lot of very good information available.
Here is the formulas page, but make sure you look at all the tables, kinda tricky. You have to do some drilling.

PS: They have very good products.

Carlisle Power Transmission has software that will give you different options for V-belt & syncronous belt drives. After you enter in your parameters, it will design the drive system for you. It used to be called "Dayware" when the company was owned by Dayco. This software can be downloaded at
Russell Giuliano
Unique Technologies Associates - Cobra Solid Lubricant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back