bend allowance standard setting 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pietje

Mechanical
Mar 18, 2007
NL
Something weird happened here...

When we make sheetmetal parts, SW(2010) always applies a k-factor for the bend allowance.
Today I got a call that none of my flat pattern are correct for a certain project. I did some investigation and found out that in all the sheetmetal parts a bend deduction of zero was set. Weird, because I never ever use a bend deduction, only k-factors.
First thing I tried is to make a fresh sheetmetal part to see what SW would use under bend allowance, k-factor or bend deduction; SW used a k-factor as usual.
Second thing I tried is to open a sheetmetal part that uses bend deduction and make a new part. Again, SW used a k-factor as usual.

For the record, I always use the same part template that has not been changed the last half year. It is not clear to me if the default bend allowance setting is set in this template or that it is set somewhere else.

Does anybody have an idea about what could have happened here??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In what format did you send the flat patterns? SW10 or DXF or ???
Maybe something is being changed during the conversion process.

In what program are they reading the flat pattern?
Maybe a setting in their template when being opened?

Hi Cor,

I shot and sent PDF's and DWG's, which indeed have flat patterns based on a bend deduction of zero.

I investigated the original SW part files and discovered that all bend allowances were set to 'bend deduction'; a setting that I never use, I always use a k-factor.

It must be something that happened here.

Do you know where the standard bend allowance is set? In the part template??

gr. Pietje

In my experience, this has always been one of those "whatever you last used" type things if you don't have things set up a particular way. To me, the best way around this is to force SW to use the right value using bend/gauge tables. Otherwise, you can "preset" your value in the template if you have the Sheet-Metal feature already in it. With it preset, you don't have to worry about the carry-over effect, but it's still pretty easy to change without really thinking about it. If you don't have it preset, and you were messing around on a different part trying different types/values, it's way too easy to overlook and set the wrong parameters on your next part. This was a very, very common error before I got the appropriate tables set up.

In 2009, you used to be able to delete everything except the Sheet-Metal feature, and then save it as a template so the values were already set. In 2012, that feature gets deleted with the rest of the features, so you can't create a new template that way. Not sure when exactly that change happened, but if that's something you'd be interested in, I have a template already set up like this. The beautiful part of having it set up this way is that I have a gauge table already in it. I can create a new part, make a sketch and click the Base Flange/Tab button. At that point I can select which gauge material I want to use, and the appropriate parameters are set accordingly. Now if only that same gauge table could populate custom properties...

Thanx gopack,
I'll give the bend tables a try. I am still scared that I created other parts that may have this mistake in it too, so a robust method would be nice... :)
The template thingy you mention is something I will not try since we will probably move to a newer release of SW in the near future. And as you already wrote, this possibility will not work in 2012.

It works GREAT in 2012, you just can't create it in 2012. I had to dig around and find an old template that I'd created in 2009.

Not sure how well this would work, but you could probably run a batch macro against all your parts that checks for the dimensions at the Sheet-Metal feature and outputs them to a CSV. If it runs like I think it should, it would give you a list of each part with its corresponding values, and you should be able to determine if any of them are incorrect.

I can't seem to create a template like you mention in SW2010, so that's not an option. If I had a template like you have, can you change settings and resave it in a later version without loosing the sheetmetal future?? If so, I am interested in your template :)

The number of parts that I created since my little f@$#-up is so small that I will check them by hand...

Here is the 2009 version of that template, stripped of everything except the "Sheet-Metal1" feature. Open it up, add your table(s) and save it.

In 2009 when you create a new part, you have to pick the gauge from a drop-down while editing the "Sheet-Metal1" feature. In 2012, you can pick the gauge while creating your "Base Flange/Tab" which is a lot friendlier in my opinion, however I'm not sure when that functionality was added. I jumped from 2009 to 2012, so I can't say exactly how it will work in 2010, but regardless it should still work. The thickness, radius, and K/BA/BD numbers should all be locked due to being driven by the tables, so make sure that is the case. I'd say play around with it a few times to make sure everything works the way you think it should, and don't forget to add your custom properties.

Also, for reference, I had a previous discussion with someone regarding this very topic. It might be worth a read (that's also where I found my old file).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back